Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Zhazhda Sveta

Dima invited me to go to a club to watch a band play last night. We agreed to meet on Taganskaya at 7:15 in the middle of the hall off the platform. I sent him a text when I got there because I couldn't find him. I said I was here, but couldn't see him. He said--same with me--where are you? Then I realized I was on the platform off the purple line, and not off the ring, so I went up the stairs to where he was at.

We had been texting throughout the day, and because my cell can't read Cyrillic, we were writing in English. I had no idea how good his English was!! The last I had known, he was in the MTC, and I was interpreting for him because he didn't speak English. He even had the same first counselor as I had had, so I was invited back to hang out with their district so they could finally talk to him (I even got in trouble by security as I was leaving because I walked out with Dima and his comp--but the first counselor wasn't around). But his English now was perfect in the texts!

I greeted him in Russian, and he said at the same time in Russian, "I don't even know what language to speak with you in!" So we continued in English as we set off to find the club. It was so fun to talk with him and catch up on everything!
We went inside, and waited as the band warmed up. Then he said, "Hey, Vasya!" And tried to get one of the guys in the band to look up. All of the sudden I realized it was Vasya that I knew from Saratov!!! My mouth dropped open--I was speechless! He came over and gave us a hug, and both of us were saying we couldn't believe the other was there. So fun!

Then Dima and I switched into English--I was shocked at how good he was! He had close to an American accent, and definitely didn't sound Russian. So crazy! All of this was just from speaking with companions--he served in Romania!! Even his colloquialisms were right on. The phrases he would use in texts even sounded American.

Before the band started playing, in walked Sasha--who I had gone out with Monday afternoon. What are the odds?! Like I said, I don't know how I already have stories...

Anyway, so we sat and listened to the band--they did great! It was really fun, and we took lots of pictures. We decided to stay for the next band, and while they were setting up, Dima and I sang a couple of the American songs that came on. Poison Snake played next--it was hilarious--they played cover songs of 80s bands! Immediately made me think of my friend Val. The lead singer was in leather pants and they were fully equipped with a fan sporting 80s-style-crimped hair and leopard skin pants!

A couple songs in, we decided it was time to take off. Vasya came over for a picture and to walk us out. He is conducting the choir that will be singing for Pres. Uchtdorf's visit and asked if I sang. I said I liked singing, and then he said, "Wait! You sing! You performed for the big musical event in Saratov!" We had done a musical fireside that was probably our most effective event the last week of my mission. So he invited me to choir practice Saturday at 3:00 pm. We both kept saying we couldn't believe we'd ran into each other. We all hugged and then left.
Sasha, Dima, and I took off for the metro. Dima and I were going in the same direction for one stop, so we told Sasha goodbye, and then continued on in English. We talked about how crazy it is that he was going to Utah in less than a month to study, and that I would be here in Russia. My stop came up, and it was time to go. I may see him in Moscow before he leaves, and if not, then we said we'd run into each other in Utah. Such a small world when you're Mormon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment