Friday, May 22, 2009

Three unique services

I was able to go with Eli to three different Orthodox churches last night. One was for St. Nikolai, the second was the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, and the third was a small church, tucked back behind the Moscow river. We decided that there must have been a special Orthodox holiday, because we caught three services that seemed different than regular services.

It was an amazing opportunity to catch three different services in one night (we only stayed to part of each). Each church was so different, and had something to offer. I described my impressions of the first church, which I loved. As for the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, it always amazes me how huge open it is. The priests wore beautiful scarlet robes with golden thread. We even caught the administration of the sacrament. The people lined up to approach the priest. He used a small brush to 'paint' a cross on their foreheads with holy water. They then kissed his right hand and moved forward to partake of the bread.

The third church was the most simple of all, but I loved it. Eli walked in ahead of me, and as I got to the door, I paused. I saw a posting on the door, asking that men and women be dressed modestly before entering in, with the criteria of what was considered modest. "I don't think I can come in," I mouthed to him. I knew that in more conservative churches, you have to be in long sleeves and a skirt, with your head covered (for women). I had my arms covered, and my head, but I was still in my slacks. I stepped up to the door to see if this was the case. As I crossed the threshold, a woman stood. I thought she was going to tell me I couldn't come in, but instead, she went and grabbed a long blue apron for me to tie around my waist. She was so kind and encouraging as I wrapped it around me and tied it in place.

It looked as if the church had been stripped down at one point, and had not quite been replenished with the beautiful icons that the other churches held. It had more simply decorated icons. This was a humble setting--candles were in their places, the clothing worn looked like it had come from a Russian storybook about peasants, and the hall was smaller, darker, having less candles. But I enjoyed this--it seemed more pure somehow, sincere. I am always attracted to more conservative forms of religion. They strike me as more reverent somehow. I love the tradition of it all. On my way out, I handed the woman the skirt with a smile and a "Spasibo." She smiled and nodded her head in acknowledgement. Such a humble, enchanting woman, giving of her time to her God and religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment