Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Making new friends

I walked into the building yesterday without showing my security pass. I could tell the guard was kind of following me for a few feet, so I stopped and fumbled around to pull it out. The security guard has a look that definitely fits his job--he is quite a bit bigger than me. He said, "You're new here, aren't you." So I took the opportunity to make a new friend--"Yes, I've only been here for a couple of weeks." I smiled, "What's your name?" He told me it was Victor, and I stuck out my hand and said, "Kimberly." He smiled, welcomed me and we told each other to have a nice day.

Later, Acia, Eli, and I went down to grab lunch. As we walked passed Victor, he smiled. "Wait, you're friends with him? He hates the rest of us! How did you do that?" It was way funny--he smiled and winked when I walked back in. Acia was like, "Kim makes friends with everyone. She already knows the entire branch! She even surprised the sister missionaries!" (On Sunday I kept running into people I know, and Sister Brown said, "How do you already know everyone?" I told her I'd already gone the Sunday before, and she just shook her head, laughed, and said, "Hey, that's great. Way to go.") Everyone teases me that I just talk to everyone I meet--even people on the street! haha Not much has changed since coming here.

I see Victor now when I go downstairs, and today asked him how work was and how his day had been. He said good, and asked how many was, then as we (Acia, Eli, and I) were leaving, said, "Come often!"

Always fun talking to new people and finding out their stories and experiences! (I will add here--I am always smart about it, and don't talk to sketchy people after dark when I'm alone :) That's for you, mom hehe)

No comments:

Post a Comment