Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The arrival

Made it to Russia!! I claimed my baggage and headed towards the front of the airport, looking for my name to be written on one of the many signs that were being held up. I had not yet met the family I would be staying with, so the name cards were my only hope of finding my ride. I didn't aniticipate one of the many cab drivers offering me to use his cell phone to find my ride. After telling Sergei I was between the flower shop and cell phone booth, we took off for home.

The missionaries were there when we arrived. Irina and Sergei just moved in to this apartment, so they are still unpacking. I tried to help, but Irina wouldn't allow it--after about the 5th time I offered, and after two somewhat failed attempts at just helping without asking, she said--I know you want to help, and that's enough for me. You must be tired from the long flight--get some rest. I was also told I shouldn't sleep however, and found out resting meant sitting in an armchair with my legs propped up watching them clean my room. That lasted about 15 minutes, until I got up and decided to at least unpack my things. Then I started dusting and sweeping--Irina allowed this in the end.

So my room is all set and quite comfortable. I sleep on a couch that turns into a bed--not quite a hide-a-bed, as it actually folds up to become the couch back and seat. So I have a couch by day, and a bed by night--I guess I'll be making my bed every morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment