Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Remembering hot showers of days gone by...

My first shower in Moscow reminded me a lot of my first shower experience in Russia in Saratov over four years ago. Because we didn't have hot water, I was obliged to take a nice bucket-bath. Yes, a bucket-bath. I don't say sponge bath, because I didn't have a sponge, but I did have a nice scoop and two buckets. Irina gave them to me and showed me where the chajnik (an electric tea kettle is the best way I can describe this) was. I filled it up three times and emptied it into my bucket, setting it in the shower. Luckily, there was a wooden-slatted bench across the tub where I could rest one of them. I put the other on the floor and tried to cool down the boiling water by pouring in the cold water that came out of the showerhead. No third degree burns, so I considered it a success.

I put my feet in the bucket on the tub floor and poured the water over my legs so I wouldn't lose the warm water. I eventually moved on to wash my hair with what clean water was still left in the first bucket. Washing my hair was the best part, because that was the only time I had hot water running over all of me at once. The rest of the time was chilly without a constant flow of hot water.

I thought about my long, hot showers at home, and about the many times I had showered like this while I lived in my first apartment in Saratov. In a way it was kind of fun--all a part of the experience--though I will gladly welcome the hot water that should be coming in the next couple of days.

After my shower, I got ready for bed. I fell asleep as soon as I hit the pillow...

No comments:

Post a Comment