Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Russian Exhibition Center

Monday May 11, 2009

After the band finished up, Anatoly took me to the stop where I had agreed to meet Sasha that afternoon. Sasha and I ended up going to the Russian Exhibition Center where they have buildings for each of the countries of the former Soviet Union with exhibitions on the different cultures. We didn't go inside any of them, but instead walked around outside by a plane and rocket from the Soviet era. We then headed over to the flower gardens to walk around and talk.

I think I had said earlier that I had a hard time understanding some things Sasha said--I ended up asking him if he had a southern accent, and he said, yes, he knew he did a little, and people could always tell it was him on the phone before he picked up. By the end of our four hour excursion, I had already gotten to where I could understand him better, so that was nice.
We ended up walking passed a carnival-like shooting booth. It was so fun! I hit every shot except for my last one, while he missed almost every one. We laughed about that for a while. I even hit this tiny little bell that was hanging up. I had so much fun, and got some really great pictures from it!

He said he had ended up going to church the day before and really liked it. I was sad I hadn't known he was going--I would have gone to that branch. He enjoyed the atmosphere of church when he went--how nice everyone was, how they were able to come together and ask questions about God, and that this was allowed. He also said he liked the all of the different members participate. I told him I am speaking in church Sunday, and he said he wants to come hear me speak. I'm glad he is liking it so far!
He told me his mom is a member of an American religion, but he had decided it wasn't for him when he was younger and had become an atheist. But with time and experience, he said he had come to the point where he just couldn't believe that things were moving on their own--someone had to be there directing it. So, he decided he believes in God. When I asked when he decided that, and why, he said it was really an accumulation of events throughout his life.
It was great to be able to talk to him about those things, and I'm glad he felt comfortable sharing that with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment