Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Someone as tactful as I am

There was a man in the office yesterday, whom I had never met before. He was talking with Andrei, and I was just going about my work. I wasn't really listening to what he said, but then heard him ask for a pen and paper. I slid a small post-it stack over to him with a pen, and asked in Russian if that would be sufficient. He took it, said yes, then stopped. "Wait. You speak Russian? And here I have been talking like you don't understand a word I'm saying. Oh, what was I thinking. Huh. Well, there I go." So I figured he must have said something about me, but I wasn't paying attention. Then I told him I served in Samara, and he said, "Oh Moscow is much better. Samara mission has such awful cities. They aren't all that great and not very clean" (or something along those lines). I kind of laughed and said that I loved Saratov, and that Andrei was from there. He stopped again. "Oh, I have said something wrong again! Of course you are from there, I knew that, but there I go! I am just saying all the wrong things today!" He was a very nice man, and we all just laughed about it. I thought, well at least I'm not the only one who sometimes just says things without thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment