Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Kolomenskii Park

Sister Brown gave me the number of Braden in the International Branch, and he and I decided to meet up and go the park to walk around. He has lived in Moscow for about a year and a half teaching English. The park was gorgeous, and it was interesting to get another take on Moscow.

Afterwards, I went to meet up with Eli on Novokuznetskaya stop of the metro. On the way up the escalator to meet him, I noticed that the boy in front of me and behind me were friends, and that I had somehow ended up in the middle. They kept saying, "Ice." Finally, I looked at both of them with a questioning look on my face, and the one behind me in sunglasses said, in Russian, "Do you know what we are saying? We are saying that a beautiful girl is in between us." I laughed and said thanks. We kept going up the escalator, and finally started talking. They asked where I was from, and when I told them America, they got really excited. They tried to say some English words to me, and we were still talking when Eli found us. I introduced him to them. They asked if we were in a rush, I told them, no--we were just out for a walk. So we talked quite a bit more, and I told them that the missionaries gave free English lessons on Wednesdays. They took pictures with us, and asked if I had ICQ--similar to facebook or MSN-a way to connect online. I told them I didn't, but then gave the 15 year-old my number so he could find out about English classes. His mom came up soon after, and we talked with her as well. When it was time to go, Kyrill (the younger one, the other was Vlad) said, "Call me," and put his hand up to his ear like a phone. Eli just laughed. Fun to be a celebrity! haha

We then took off for the park. It is so gorgeous!! We walked through the apple orchard, and down to the river. We then went to a historic church and gateway. The gateway was put up in the 1600s. While in the park, we went to a little kiosk and got these yummy bread things filled with mashed potatoes. Worthy every ruble! Then we got the best Swedish pancakes with jam--perokaj with verenem. So good! By this point it was about 10 pm, but looked like it was 6 pm. It stays so light out now! Which I actually really like because it makes me feel more safe walking home at night.

Definitely going back to the park--I would love to just take a good book and sit on the benches they have scattered throughout the orchard! It as absolutely gorgeous--the blossoms are out on the trees and it smells heavenly! And it's right off my metro line. All I have to do is take about a 30 min ride and I'm there!

No comments:

Post a Comment