Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Scriptures and Sisters!

No, not that kind. The missionary kind! I got a call from Sister Brown yesterday asking if I would mind coming to a lesson with them. I was given my assignment, and we agreed to meet at 6 pm at the church. When I arrived, we chatted for a bit, and then Sister Samsonovich received a call saying that the investigator would not be able to make it. Would I like to have a lesson from them instead, and on a different topic? Sure, I replied.

I don't know why I was expecting the lesson to be in Russian, but that was what language I said the opening prayer in, and then the lesson continued in English. The sisters had prepared a beautiful lesson on how knowing we are sons and daughters of God can help us in our lives, and how we can see what things are of God. It was really fun to talk to them, and they were surprised that I "got all the answers right! You're the first person to ever do this!" I just laughed. I didn't think there were "right" answers to these kinds of questions. It turned out to be a big blessing for me to be able to have my own lesson with them, as it helped me to vocalize and discuss many of these thoughts and decisions I have been making.

I decided I need to be a lot more committed in doing the little things. I have had some amazing scripture studies here in Moscow, but they have been few and far between. Sunday I decided I needed to re-read the Book of Mormon, as I hadn't just sat down and read it straight through in a while (aka years--possibly once since my mission. I usually study by topic and use the Bible, B of M, D&C, etc.).

This last couple of weeks as I have been finishing whole novels in a day, I've thought, why don't I do this with the scriptures? I can sit and consume a whole novel, but how much energy have I put into my scripture study lately? Then Sunday I read a chapter from a book I've referenced in other blogs, Selected Writings of M. Catherine Thomas, which my mom bought for me at Bianca's recommendation. The chapter is called, "Using the Book of Mormon to Face the Tests Ahead." It was a fantastic chapter and made me realize that I need to refocus on the Book of Mormon.

I have always really loved studying the scriptures, particularly the Old Testament (since I learned to read and was taught to study scriptures the Old Testament has been my favorite--I still have my first Bible I received when I was 8 and Genesis is all kinds of marked up because I loved all of it so much!), and find myself reading a chapter of Isaiah during sacrament meeting every week. However, I know it is important to focus on all scripture, so I set a goal to really immerse myself in the Book of Mormon. I set a goal to read the whole thing straight through. I started with good old 1 Nephi, and read all the chapters Sunday. I decided I would read a book from the Book of Mormon every day, and finish it within the next week and a half. It has been so amazing to read it so close together! Different patterns emerge that I hadn't thought about before. The timeline and the stories/familiar verses put in context are so much more enlightening! There are many things that I had known and since forgotten, as well as things that are completely new for me. I love how a text can change as we gain more life experience--especially the scriptures. As I go through different trials and learning opportunities, I look at life in a whole different way. I really want to set a goal to read the Book of Mormon through in a short period of time every year. Then after that, as I study the Old and New Testament, D&C, and the Pearl of Great Price together, it will really strengthen my study.

I have thought of reading the other scriptures straight through like this as well, but we'll see how ambitious I am feeling when I finish this! Plus, I've really been wanting to take the topical guide and study all of the scriptures about Christ (which are many, but I love the way they are topically organized).

When I first moved to Los Angeles, I started the Old Testament from the beginning and really enjoyed that, though I got too busy with school to finish. Perhaps that will be my next project...

No comments:

Post a Comment