Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Apostles in Moscow

The meeting took place at Cosmos hotel in Moscow, Russia on June 1, 2009. This year is the 50th anniversary of Ezra Taft Benson's visit to Moscow (he was in the Quorum of the Twelve at the time, and Secretary of Agriculture for the United States of America).

President Uchtdorf called this our family home evening, as it was a Monday night. It was so amazing to be able to attend the visit to Moscow of President Uchtdorf (Second Counselor in the First Presidency) and Elder Andersen (member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles)! I loved hearing them address the people I have come to love so much!

I was able to sing in the choir, and really enjoyed the opportunity to do so. After the meeting was over, I didn't think I would have the chance to go shake President Uchtdorf's hand. He came for the Russians, I thought. I want to make sure they all have the opportunity to meet him. But he ended up staying longer than I thought he would, so I ventured down to where he was. He shook my hand and I told him thank you for coming (in English). I then tried to move out of the crowd, but found myself pushed over to the direction he was going. He turned around, shook my hand again, and we both said, "Do svidanya." So I guess I got a Russian and English greeting in. One of the Elders took a picture of me next to Pres. Uchtdorf, so we'll see if I ever receive that haha

The meeting itself was great! I feel very blessed to have been present at a meeting where apostles of the Lord spoke to the people I taught on my mission. There was talk of a stake someday coming to Russia, and President Uchtdorf expressed his hope that a temple would someday come to Moscow. Sister Uchtdorf said that she thinks that there will be a stake when she comes again. Elder Andersen said there will be a stake in the Lord's time.

The point was made that it is up to the members to build a stake. If they will have faith and try to share the gospel, they will be able to have a stake in Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment