Thursday, June 25, 2009

Two church meetings.

Sundays are always pretty great, but this one was exceptional! I went to my own branch at 10:00 am and ended up playing piano for relief society, and then again in choir. I sang with sopranos, and then with altos, and then was asked if I could also play while we all sang. It was really fun, and we got out just in time for the next branch to be starting. I ended up staying to their meetings as well. I ended up looking over a woman's shoulder to sing from her hymn book for the opening hymn, and she turned around and complimented me on my voice. I thanked her and didn't really think much else of it. Until she came up to Tyler and me after Sunday school. "What are your plans right now?" she asked him. "Going to priesthood...?" he said. "Would you mind playing the piano in Relief Society? Now, what's your name?" With this last question she turned to me. "Kimberly." "Ah, yes," turning back to Tyler, "will you play in Relief Society for Kimberly? We'd like for the two of you to do a musical number." He and I looked at each other. "Are you okay with that? That works for me," we both said to each other. We told her we'd be more than happy to help out, that we would pick a hymn, and was there any specific number she wanted? No, we could decide. We chose "Be Still my Soul." Just then Ryan walked up (he had refused to sit with us cuz we were on the front row). "Hi," he said to the three of us, and got introduced to the nice sister. "Oh, this is great," she said, "will you bear your testimony for us in Relief Society?" he looked confused (Relief Society is a women's organization). I told him Tyler and I would be singing, and they just wanted us to help out at the beginning. He agreed, and the three of us made our way to Relief Society.

The guys looked a little uncomfortable, making comments that this was the first time they'd been in Relief Society. Ryan bore his testimony, and then we did our musical number. I was nervous (I don't know why), but it was fun. After we finished singing and the announcements were over, the guys took off for priesthood.

We met up after the meetings to go to our friend Nastya's house. That was why I ended up staying to all three meetings. Tyler told me Ryan had gone to change, and we'd leave as soon as he got back. When Ryan came out, he was like, "You're really not going to change?" "No, I'm fine." "It was your idea to bring extra clothes." Turned out he didn't want me to feel bad or overdressed because I was still in my church clothes. But then Ryan decided he would be too casual. So Tyler took off his tie to appear more casual and served as the bridge between our two "extreme" dressing styles. Then we headed off for the metro to meet up with Nastya.

No comments:

Post a Comment