Tuesday, June 2, 2009

It's getting pretty deep

We were in the kitchen having lunch today, and the winter olympics came up. The Russians were saying that they had the best figure skaters (the whole 2002 scandal involving the Canadian skaters had been mentioned, with the Russians saying the Canadians weren't that good, and me saying--oh, come on, they were amazing). They then went on to say that Americans were not made for figure skating, and then--and this is my favorite--one asked, "Who was that Russian-American skater? Kwan, something."

"Kwan? You mean like the Asian-American?" If my google search hasn't failed me, Michelle Kwan was born in California to Chinese immigrants from Hong Kong. Eli and I exchanged incredulous glances. Hmmm...and here I had no idea she was Russian...

I may have said aloud, "Now there's some propaganda for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment