Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Makings of a trip to the banya

The start of the amazing experience that is the banya all started one morning last week when I went up to Acia and said, "I really want to go to a banya while I'm in Russia. Do you like them?" It was obvious from our conversation that she was not only unwilling to go, and would be uncomfortable with it, but she was also sure I would hate it. "Just wait until you go." Oh, I would make it out to a banya all right. I was sure of it.

It just so happened that later that day Eli brought up the banya. "I really want to go to one while I'm here!" "Really, me too! I'm so glad to hear you say that, I was thinking no one would want to go with me!" As we sat on a bench at the park, sunning our legs, we decided we were going to make the banya happen. And soon. "Saturday?" "Done."

We grabbed Eli's handy tour guide and started searching for banyas. Hmmm, should we go cheap? Definitely. Better story that way. So we picked one that seemed like it was close to our stop and set the date for Saturday, May 30. We found some unlikely recruits in the study abroad students from BYU, and the event was on! 3 guys and I--girls seemed hard to come by for this one, but I was determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment