Friday, June 26, 2009

Goodbye Harrisons

Ani and I walked into the chapel where the activity was taking place. People were just gathering, and I saw Sister Harrison sitting in the front row. I started making my way over to her. She looked up and realized it was me, and we gave each other a huge hug. She looks great and it sounds like she has grown to love Russia and her mission so much! We chatted for a bit, and then President Harrison came over. So crazy to see them again after all of this time! And in Russia! They invited me over to their home Sunday, and it'll be great to have more time to catch up with them.

The program was really neat. Apparently the Church had donated computers and money to a group for the blind so that they could have brail on the keyboards, so a group of them came and performed for us. It was fantastic--they were dressed up in costumes and sang and danced! A lot of the youth also performed musical numbers and there was a slide show. At the end, Sister Harrison got up and tearfully told everyone how much she would miss them, how grateful she was for the way they strove to develop their talents, and how much she had grown to love Russia.

President Harrison then got up and spoke in Russian! It was so great to hear him speak to the people in their language, express his love, and bear his testimony. It was so obvious how much they would be missed. Everyone kept telling me how great they were, and how sad they were that the Harrisons were leaving. It was amazing to see how well they've served these people.

I was able to interpret for them a bit after as people said their goodbyes. We were able to talk again for a bit, and President Harrison said that just so I know, they open up their home to return missionaries with their dates ;) Sister Harrison had told me she already knew who she wanted to set me up with, which was even better because I actually already know him!

1 comment:

  1. You can't just leave us hanging...who is it that she wants to set you up with? :) Your blog is so entertaining as usual!

    ReplyDelete