Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sack lunch

Irina and I sat chatting last night as we often do. She had made cabbage with meat and had put it in containers. "You can take one to work with you for lunch tomorrow and try it," she told me. I thanked her, then headed off to bed.

When I awoke in the morning and headed to the kitchen, there was the container, but now an apple was sitting on top, a tomato was in another plastic container, and a yogurt sat on top of that. Is that for me? That is so sweet! But what if it isn't, and I take it? That would be so embarrassing. But it would be so offensive to not take it. I finally decided it must be meant for me as it was directly on top of the other container, and nothing else had been left out.

I know it seems so small, but I was so touched that she would send me off with lunch. When I got to work, I told Acia and Eli how excited I was, and how cute I thought that was of her. Then about an hour later, I got a phone call from Irina (we finally figured out how to call each other--it wasn't working before). She said, "Did you see the food on the table?" "Yes, was that for me?" "Yes, I was calling to make sure you took it! I worried that you would be afraid to take it, and wanted to make sure you had. So just checking in. Did you take it with you?" "Yes, thank you so much! That is so kind of you! I really appreciate it." "Good, just wanted to make sure. Have a great day!"

I think it really is the little things that we do for one another that make all the difference. I can't even express how good that made me feel--she totally made my morning by her thoughtful, simple act.

No comments:

Post a Comment