Saturday, August 29, 2009

Los Angeles!!

Back in LA!! So crazy, but it's been great! Biggest news is that I live in a mansion with about 9-11 other people. Brittany and I are the only Americans. Everyone else is from China, and I love it! We have two other girl roommates, and the rest are guys. They are all so nice! The guys helped me move my stuff in, along with Brittany.

I've had so much fun chatting with and getting to know the new roommates!

Highlights:

*Going grocery shopping with Xui, Ju, and Gary at Superior and trying to take the shopping carts out of the parking lot. The wheels locked up on us, and we had to carry/coerce the shopping carts back to the lot (we failed to notice the sign that said the wheels would lock up if we went past the yellow strip). So I ran to the lot across the street and brought my car over. We also grabbed some free frozen yogurt.

*Left within an hour of the last story to go to campus with three other of my roommates. I needed to buy books, and they were going to a class on how to make friends with Americans. Knowing I hadn't really eaten dinner yet, I got invited along ("It's okay. The dinner is free. It's not just for internationals!"). I thought about it for a minute, but decided I should probably grab my books and study. Would have been great, though! We made another trip back for free frozen yogurt, leaving me to try and explain the difference between it and ice cream.

*Introducing two of the guys to Cinnamon and Spice oatmeal and trying to explain why I was having that for dinner. I offered them a bite, and they liked it, which went better than Brittany's experience yesterday having them taste mac and cheese, which they definitely do not like :) The guys have offered to cook Chinese food for me next week, and I told them I would break character and cook for them as well. I showed them what tortillas look like and tried to explain burritos and enchiladas.

*I came home Thursday night and was so excited to have so many roommates to talk to! And it was great Friday morning when I got up and had breakfast with Felix cuz we were the only ones awake. I love chatting with Ju and Xui (who told me I could call her Candice, but I prefer to use her Chinese name).

*Ju finding out I was Mormon was classic. She asked if I was Christian, and when I said yes, asked if it was hard living in Utah because there were so many Mormons. I told her, "No. They (mormons) are Christians, too." And then I added, "I'm Mormon." We talked about all kinds of things, including religion for a bit, which was really great. She is protestant--her grandfather was a preacher. (Follow up great moment: Ju telling Gary I am Mormon. She said it in Chinese, then he turned to me and said, "You're Mormon?!" I laughed and said, "Yes. Feel free to ask me any questions. I totally don't mind. I know it seems different and people have a lot of questions.") Ju and I have decided to go to the fashion district together when I'm not leaving town for the weekend.

*Hearing that the guys scared Xui and Ju with ghost stories about our house.

*Coming home from Naomi's last night to Chester and Felix (the guys who live on my floor) telling me about a break-in two blocks away where the people were held up by gun point as they were robbed. Then, consequently going around and checking the locks on our doors to make sure they were shut.

*Hung out with Naomi last night. Had a great talk about being back in LA. Then walked past a Chabad building that was next to a church of Scientology. Led us into quite the discussion. Had so much fun asking all of my questions about Judaism. I think I am going to start the Torah (five books of Moses, or first five books of the Old Testament) in October when their study schedule starts and read the corresponding explanatory passages in their books. Way excited about this! And she let me borrow a book called: Myths and Facts: A guide to the Arab-Israeli conflict.

*Talked for hours with Brittany this morning, then went down to the distribution center and the Los Angeles temple.

In short, I am absolutely loving my new living arrangement and being back! New cultural experiences for all of us everyday, and I wouldn't trade it! The place is beautiful, I love my classes, and my roommates are awesome! So, so, so fun!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word, Chinese people are the best in the world and would make awesome roommates. I definitely need to come visit you now! Glad to hear you are loving LA! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete