Saturday, August 22, 2009

Lake Powell

I could never vacation anywhere but Lake Powell and be happy! We loved it! Bob and Jill and their kids came with Michelle, her boys, my parents, Amy and I. Michelle, Amy, Tanner, and I drove in one car. We had our traditional blasting of Air Supply with the ever-loved Making Love Out of Nothing at All on the way.

We arrived at the lake Monday afternoon and set about anchoring the houseboat. Bob, my dad, and I were left to do this, and for only having the three of us, I think we did a pretty great job! Picture I wish I had from the trip: me in my swimming suit with about an 8-inch drill drilling holes in the rock to anchor into.

Tuesday was the perfect day--I got up with the sun and got some scripture reading in before heading back to the marina with Michelle for a 4 mile run. I liked running with her so much I'm considering running a half marathon with her next year. After the run, the girls decided to do a workout together. We started to head out to the shore, but realized it would be too hard for situps. We did our warmups, which everyone thought was the actual workout, then started into a squat/situp routine. So much fun, even if I was way sore for the next two days! Not sure if it was the running or the squats that did it.

After working out, we loaded every one in the boat and went for a drive. We headed into the marina first where I got the best approach ever. There were about 15 guys sitting around, and one of them smiled at me and I smiled back. When he left, we both waved goodbye. They pulled away in their boat. I was sitting there with everyone, talking and laughing, and heard a guy behind us say. "Hi, everyone. I'm D----. How are you all doing today?" Then he turned to me and said, "Can I get your phone number?" Everyone was a little shocked, which made me laugh looking back. So we talked for a minute, and he said he and his buddies had just came home from their missions in Australia. I have this problem where people think I'm about 20 years old. What can you do? So after he left, the consensus was, "He's ballsy. In a good way!" Oh, Lake Powell.

Found a beautiful place to jump out and swim for a while that was in the shade. Then Amy, Maddie, Ashtynne, Taylor, and I all washed our hair in the freezing lake (it was getting dark by now).

Most everyone went home Wednesday, but Amy, my parents and I decided to stay an extra day. Getting the houseboat back in was quite the adventure, as we were high-centered. We actually stranded mom on the shore cuz she didn't get on quick enough (she and I were pushing, dad was backing out, and Amy had the boat hooked on trying to pull us away). Amy went back in for her while dad and I left off to pump and get fueled up. Ran into a priests group at the dock and a guy who just graduated and is looking into playing football for Snow (how am I not 19 again? lol).

Went for one last long boat ride. Lake Powell is so beautiful! Blue, blue sky, red rock. The stars were incredible at night! I love Utah! And as we were driving home, I was looking at the mountains, trees, and green fields and realized how much I had missed having the mountains as a backdrop.

No comments:

Post a Comment