Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mom's First Impressions

I thought it would only be fair to get the story from mom's point-of-view (you know how DeGroff/Evans are with their story telling), so I'm handing the computer over to her (plus, I really need to go jump in the shower and get packed--our train leaves tonight, and I have a lot of cleaning to do). Here are her thoughts on the experience so far, five days in, Wednesday morning:

First off, I love Moscow! It is a beautiful, romantic city and really much different than I had imagined! I think I expected the Russia of Soviet days and have been surprised at how safe I feel here-except for seeing the path home from the Metro which Kim would take most nights alone through dark parks etc. There are some things mothers are best not knowing! And then there's the man who eyed us up and down on the metro last night at 1 a.m. while Kim had her tired eyes closed and then followed us up the escalater to our next exchange and got in the car behind us. We finally gave him the slip and made it home safely our last night in Moscow! I love the beautiful centuries-old buildings and huge parks alongside the breathtaking rivers. Coming in on the plane I was amazed at how wooded it is and how many rivers there are! Most of all I have been impressed at how happy the people appear and how "normal" their lives seem-couples smiling and talking to each other and people just living life. That said, I have never seen so many people smoking and drinking openly until so late with blood shot eyes on the metro! That perhaps is what I expected to see in Russia. I have been impressed by the friendliness of the people-true most of them don't talk on the metro but occasionally we have had some great responses-for instance....the other night Kim and I were sitting by each other and Tyler was across from us sitting by two men. Kim proceeded to wink at him, roll her tongue and touch her nose with her tongue and tried to get him to do the same. These two guys were busting up because they did didn't realize they knew each other and nudged Tyler on shoulder to point out this girl who was "hitting" on him! A description of my first impression would not be complete without mentioning how great the food is! Tyler introduced us to a certain little street vender that sells magnificent -shwarmas! We went back a second time yesterday and I wouldn't be surprised if we go there again today for lunch. We've had delicious Ukranian food, great soups-yes they even eat soups in the summer here and best of all the street foods and of course, Kim and Acia's famous tomato salad! I loved going to church and seeing that yes the gospel is the same all over the world-in fact this branch sang the hymns with much more gusto than our ward! The talks were so good by the youth and main speaker and I even got to hear Elder Marchenko, a Russian seventy, speak. Of course the song with Kim, Tyler, Ryan and two other study abroad students was beautiful and I can see where the branch will really miss their musical talents! I loved meeting the members, especially the darling little young women who seem to adore Kim! I've loved getting to be around Kim and Tyler's landlords' Irina and Sergei, and Svetlana and just wish I could speak a little Russian or that they could use sign language-my default foreign language which I try whenever someone is speaking anything other than English! At this point I am a little sad to leave Moscow-probably because Kim and Tyler know their way around so well and know the best places to see and eat at and I almost think I could have been satisfied just coming to Russia!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You finally posted some stuff! It sounds like it has been a lot of fun!!! Can't wait to see what else happens! :)

    ReplyDelete