Monday, July 6, 2009

July 4th in Russia

I finally saw the inside of the Kremlin! Little did I know it was like a little town, with streets, buildings, and churches. I went with the study abroad group Saturday on their tour. The churches were beautiful, and we even caught a "parade." We took quite a few pictures, standing on our tip toes so that we could see over the crowd. Despite a chilly wind, it was fun to see everyone and go on the excursion.

Then it was off to Nastya's for a movie and some "pie" we had bought at a local store. We watched Serendipity in Russian and had tea--my favorite here--Turkish apple. So yummy! We had originally planned to make the American festivities, but after sitting down to a movie, we realized the last thing we wanted to do was go pay 500 rubles to stand in the cold and wait a couple of hours for fireworks.

We decided instead on going to a gathering that two of the study abroad students were hosting. It amounted to an ice cream social with a variety of toppings and cookies to eat with it. This meant I would shortly be having flashbacks of the vafli/ice cream/Die Hard/dance party Eli, Acia, and I had held in the office a couple of months ago! Nope, I didn't learn my lesson--I had vafli and ice cream together again! At least this time it was only one vafli, and not 1/2 a kilo. Even this small amount was enough to make my body remember that I should never eat vafli and ice cream at the same time--I felt like the sugar was literally surging through my veins, right up to my brain! The effect it had on me was short-lasting, luckily and had worn off in minutes.

Lots of good conversations, card games (hearts, etc), and I even heard some fireworks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment