Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Strange pregnancy dream, perhaps?

Bizarre dreams are not new to me. I tell Tyler about them all the time. But I think pregnancy has some new twists for me. People say that pregnancy affects your dreams, and until last night they had mostly been that either someone was trying to attack/kill me, or that all of my friends and family (Tyler included) were upset with me over something. But last night was one of the first pregnancy dreams that made it almost impossible to sleep.

I woke up yesterday with a really stuffy nose, and I was thinking I must have allergies. It was like that almost all day long with frequent (like every 10 minutes) trips to the bathroom to blow my nose. By evening, my head was kind of hurting and as Tyler felt sick, we both crawled into bed around 8:30 pm.

It was then I realized I couldn't breathe through my nose while laying on my side, and I'm just not a back sleeper. Or a mouth breather. Believe me, Tyler suggested it several times after my continued moaning about not being able to breathe.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I had taken a unisom (part of my anti-morning sickness routine) just before going to bed. Well, that must have knocked me out because I was fine until about midnight.

I woke up and started ranting about how I was suffocating and couldn't breathe. I was thrashing my arms and legs in frustration over not being asleep and it only being midnight (a whole night of this ahead??). Poor Tyler kept trying to calm me down by saying, "You just need to settle down." Well intentioned, but I get kind of upset when I get woken up and I'm in and out of dreams. I found I could sleep only if I kept my head in a certain position and laid on my back.

So I would kind of fall in and out of asleep, and in my dreams, I dreamed that I had to say "air" to keep the breathing hole opened, which then progressed to having to find the right kind of bread. If only I could remember which bread it was, I would be able to breathe! I went through all the different recipes I could think of, wondering which would be the lightest and fluffiest to allow the most air through so I wouldn't suffocate. This then moved on to thinking, oh if only our oven worked I could make some bread and figure this all out!! (Our oven doesn't bake evenly and I've been wanting to make homemade bread for weeks).

So in between these strange recurring dreams, I would wake up angry about not being able to sleep and thrashing around. I think I mentioned bread once or twice, and Tyler told me I'd been saying some weird stuff in my sleep.

I have yet to find out what dreaming about bread and suffocation means during pregnancy, but it was enough for me to hope that a different theme makes an appearance in the future.

4 comments:

  1. First of all, cute blog. Second, I have really weird dreams every night of my life. I am super nervous to get pregnant for fear that I will never get a good nights sleep ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I finally changed it up a little. As for the weird dreams--I have seriously had the strangest/scariest/randomest/funniest dreams forever, so this is really just a continuation of them. It was the stuffy nose that got me lol Don't worry, my other pregnancy dreams have been just as weird as usual! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha You're so right!! How did I miss that lol

    ReplyDelete