Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Retreat at the beach

Met up by Superior and Starbucks with a few other people from InterFaith Council to head off to our retreat at Manhattan Beach. Started out the event at a church near the beach with a game to get us out of our comfort zones and get to know one another. After more people showed up, we had a dialogue about what interfaith councils can do and discussed why we have religion (or if it was even needed. I, of course, fell on the "yes, of course religion is important" side of the debate).

We decorated a flag that will be displayed for IFC, which was pretty fun considering I'd had a great warm-up the night before at Spencer's. Then we took off for lunch and the beach.

The beach was really fun, and I met fun, new people. I don't often consider myself a beach person, but really loved hearing the waves crash on the shore and seeing the beautiful mountain background. Glen and I took a walk on the pier and talked about our vision for IFC. When we came back, the group started a game where one person would make a musical sound, and then each would have to add in some new aspect. We ended up recording ourselves and were pretty entertained with what we came up with. Steven and I had a hard time not busting up when it got to us. We were pretty sure it would have been more productive (but a lot less fun), if we were separated. Between him and Kudal, I spent a lot of time laughing.

I was sad to have to leave early, but Emmanuel was nice enough to give me a ride in his silver Mustang convertible. Really made me miss my old convertible (even if mine was not nearly an 1/8 as nice as his!! Gotta love the '92 Pontiac Sunbird convertible), though I definitely appreciate having my Saab!

Went to a great Italian place where the waiters come around and sing "That's Amore" and toast all the customers. Talked to someone who doesn't like Russia and tried to explain why I love and appreciate it so much. Don't think I made much progress, but hey, I'm still a fan. And if anything, it only deepened my love by having to defend her. And made me again recommit to studying the language more.

No comments:

Post a Comment