Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Revisiting downtown

I realized how much I miss downtown on Friday. Spencer and I went to a concert at the Colburn School of Music on Grand, located near the Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA. The kids were amazing!! Songs were either violin or piano solos, or violin/piano duets. I really enjoyed the more disonnant sounding songs.

After the concert, we decided to wander around the area. It really is so beautiful at night. Such a different feel than during the day. Kind of peaceful when everyone clears out. There is a little area that is always beautifully decorated nearby--there is a waterfall (sort of) that flows into a little pond next to a patio with tables. Some great views.

The ice cream place we wanted to drop by was closed, so we decided to head back to Spencer's apartment right across the street from the school. They are on the 7th floor and have an amazing view. Spencer has set up his drafting table near the large windows that overlook the street. After eating ice cream and talking about symbolism and some of the projects he has been working on, we spread a large piece of paper over the desk and painted a really random scene. Turned out much better than I thought it would. I am not the most artistic person...

Then we headed out to the deck and had a great talk about LA, figuring out life, and overcoming trials. We decided to head back in and have some bagels and creamcheese with honey. Delicious! I cameo-ed my one song that I can play--When You Say Nothing At All. Then we tried to pick out Free Falling. We decided we'd had enough of pretending we knew how to play the guitar and eventually settled for the original. This rolled into spending the rest of the night listening to Cold Play's new CD. Will and Jonathan came home from the various parties of the evening and gave us a rundown.

We ended up having pancakes with new and yummy jams (mango is my new favorite), and counseling Jonathan on which classes to take for his continuing education courses. I think we succesfully talked him out of taking a prenatal class.

It was a really fun night, full of a lot of relaxing, great things. Man, I miss downtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment