Friday, November 13, 2009

Russian picnic in Associate's Park

I saw a sign for a Russian picnic on my way to Religion and Conflict Wednesday night, so I showed up a little after 2:00 pm to check it out. I saw Tatyana, whose classes I sat in on last semester. It was so fun to catch up with her! She's invited me to her Russian classes next week to come and talk with the students. I am so excited to get to attend her classes again!

I ended up meeting lots of great people at the picnic and getting to speak a lot of Russian. People from Kazakhstan, Moscow, St Petersburg, and Ukraine made up the native speakers. Maya, from Vienna, Austria also had impeccable Russian. So much fun!

The food was great--blini (crepes), borscht, and plov (rice with chicken). I even called Eli on the way to tell him I was going to have borscht, pelmeni, vareniki, to which he added yabloko! (all of this was of course said in our sing-songy Russian voices we use when listing off foods like two old babushkas who have been friends for ages and sit by the road selling sunflower seeds together).

I ended up staying over four hours (when I had originally planned on leaving after one!). Many of us exchanged information, and we are looking forward to many more get togethers. So sad it took this long to find my Russian community! But happy now that it's here. I was even invited to one of the American Russian speaker's tailgates tomorrow for homecoming. He is in the Master of Public Policy program. It was great as we all talked after--two Americans, a guy from Kazakhstan, two Russians, and one Ukrainian girl. It was especially interesting as we talked about cultural differences and politics in Ukraine. Such a fun night!

No comments:

Post a Comment