Friday, November 13, 2009

Muslim fast-a-thon

The Muslim Student Union hosted a fast-a-thon yesterday. The theme was go hungry so someone else won't have to. We had people sign up to fast, and then the MSU went to local businesses and got them to sponsor each person who had signed up to fast, and then donated the money to feed the poor in the community. It was a really amazing opportunity to focus on fasting specifically to help someone else be provided for.

We met at 5 pm, after sundown, to break our fast at the mosque on Exposition and Vermont. We broke our fast with a delicious date, and then went up to observe the muslim prayer. We then went back downstairs for a persian dinner and words from the organizers. I sat with Jim Burklo, dean of religious life and head of the InterFaith Council. I explained to him that we have a fasting tradition as mormons--usually the first Sunday of the month, and that we pay a fast offering (at least the cost of the two meals we don't eat, and we are encouraged to be generous and pay beyond that) that goes to the poor and needy.

After Aaman, the president of the MSU spoke, Jim shared a few words. He did a great job. After his words, I was asked to speak, along with two other non-Muslim students who had fasted.

I shared with those present that as a Latter-day Saint/Mormon, I come from a fasting culture, but that I felt that I had learned two meaningful lessons about Islam from fasting. I shared my experience from one month ago at the mosque in Hawthorne, where the Imam told me that fasting was to learn to control ourselves with things that are permitted, so that we would be able to have more control with things that aren't permitted. I then said that the second lesson I learned that day as I fasted was compassion. I shared that I had reflected on the theme of going hungry so another person wouldn't have to. I remembered being so hungry as I walked home and seeing someone walk by with a tray of sandwiches. I wanted so much to eat one of them, I said, but couldn't because one--I was fasting, and two--it wasn't mine. It made me think about how many people in my own community go without food enough for themselves and their families each day. And it is not because food is not available--it is because they cannot afford it. This simple moment taught me that I must be more compassionate and reach out to serve more in my own community. I thanked them for the opportunity that I had been given to fast with them, and expressed my hope that we would all be more compassionate and reach out to help others in need.

As I walked back to my seat, Jim leaned over and gave me a great compliment. He said, "That was amazing. I would definitely hire you for public affairs." I really respect him and appreciated his words so much! He has been very encouraging and helpful in the things I want to pursue, and has even offered to introduce me to some people at Clairemont should I decide to pursue a PhD in Religious Studies.

I excused myself shortly after I spoke to go to the public diplomacy dinner with Marc Nathanson, who is the new ambassador to the Czech Republic. As I walked down the steps outside, I heard someone approach from behind and say, "Beautiful speech, Kimberly. Thank you for your words." It turned out to be one of the Muslim students from USC. We talked for a few moments and I invited him to interfaith council Tuesday. I have really enjoyed being a part of faith-based diplomacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment