Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Leno, shopping, and reminiscing

Sharon and I met up in Burbank to go to a taping of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. It ended up being really fun--I had VIP seats, so we were on the front row and got to shake Jay's hand. Before the show started, they were asking for people from the audience to get up and share a talent. The stage manager asking people to come up pointed at me and said, "Come on, you've got talent, don't you? Don't you sing or dance?" I just laughed. Then Sharon and I sat racking our brains on what we could sing together. We didn't end up doing it, but realized half-way through the show that we should have jumped up on stage and done a country dance lift! There are two we have done together that would have been perfect!! We spent the rest of the show regretting not doing it. But fun anyway! The show was great--I love Kevin Eubanks, and even Ross the intern was on today--I love him. He was my first "celebrity" sighting here in LA at Trader Joe's last semester. Random side note--Jay Leno has these beautiful blue sparkling eyes. It was the first thing Sharon and I noticed.

After the show it was off to do some "special" shopping that Sharon and I have meant to do for quite some time! We ended up buying matching items and had a fantastic last hangout...at least for now--we are determined to run into each other again someday. You never know where life will take you. I am leaving for Utah Thursday, en route to Moscow Monday. She will be leaving for France in three weeks, then is moving to New York "for at time."

I will definitely miss her! We have had so many great talks and memories--the first time I met her was at a stake conference when I was sitting right behind her. We didn't have much of a chance to talk until we ended up on the same boating outing at Marina del Ray in November. We were fast friends after this, always sitting together at break the fast and hitting up random Mormon parties--as well as a Top Gun party and some fabulous times out country dancing! We even came up with fake names--I was Kimber, she was Jewel, and our friend Kiki decided to go as Bella.

The first time the three of us went country dancing was at Cowboy Palace. We met a nice man named Tony, and a crazy German/French guy who danced the night away with us. I also met a Mitt Romney look-alike. Oh so fun! We were the youngest people in the place and definitely got hit on quite a bit!! It was here that Sharon and I first tested out our compatability in doing lifts together. The first try ended up with both of us on the floor, with everyone asking if we were okay. I was laughing hysterically--I had jumped to far passed her and pulled her down on top of me on the floor. I know the guys were impressed :) We got it on the next try, and I have been impressed with her skills ever since!

Our next country outing took us to Cowboy Country in Long Beach--my favorite venue for country dancing!! We ended up going there twice. We learned some great line dances, and I danced with some really amazing dancers--we did a lot of two step, and even squeezed in some swing.

Some of my favorite times with Sharon have been just sitting and talking--about boys, the gospel, what we want out of life. An amazing moment for me was being able to be there at the Los Angeles temple when Sharon received her endowments. I am so impressed with her understanding of the gospel and the preparation she put in to being ready to go.

After hanging out with Sharon, I took off for a group meeting. I sat down and said, "I have to admit, I know nothing about Hamas." To which Jon and Sofie replied, "Hezbollah!" Definitely good to know who you are talking about! I got a great mini history lesson on Hezbollah from John, and a recommendation for a book I can read about it this summer. I am also looking for other good books about the political histories of different areas of the world.

3 comments:

  1. And what does the Book of Mormon say about stealing titles? You owe me some rubles for the title, o' wandering thief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sad I missed out on the special shopping. When are we going to get together for that??? Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul-You shall henceforth be receiving royalty rights for your contribution to my title ;) Sorry, I just figured out this comment thing today-I had no idea people had been posting lol


    Kim-We will definitely get some special shopping in :)

    ReplyDelete