Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Change of Topics

I decided last night to change my research topic for my Eastern Europe public diplomacy class. I was talking to my mom on the phone about how much I have enjoyed doing research for my transnational diplomacy class on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' emergency response efforts, and said that it was too bad I hadn't already done my internship for the summer so that I could write my E. Europe paper on the LDS Church in Russia.

Then it hit me--why not write the paper now and try and implement my pd campaign proposal this summer?

I came up with a rough outline and am thinking--hey this just might work after all.


Mormons in Russia

I- Introduction (covering resurgence of faith in the early 90s in Russia)

II- Obstacles to religious organizations (hostility from the government, including visa reqs, etc. I will use this to make a case for public diplomacy--namely that targeting the public will be more effective than targeting government)

III- An overview of what the LDS have done so far (including how they established a presence in Russia, what different tactics they have used to spread their name-brand recognition, what they are doing to draw people's interests-activities like free English classes, sports nights for youth, service activities, musical firesides)

IV- Proposed plan for future pd efforts (a new book has been written by an academic of history on the Church of Jesus Christ in Russia. It makes a positive case for Mormons in Russia and the good they have done so far. The author is not a member, which I think lends greater credibility. I think a viable pd campaign would include having him give lectures at universities--targeting Moscow, Petersburg, and Rostov. If these are successful I would recommend moving next to Samara, Yekaterinburg, Novosobirsk, and possibly Vladivostok. These are headquarters for missions and would boost missionary visibility in the area, as well as open up people to talking with them. I will also give indicators/ways to evaluate success)

V- Conclusion (How the Church can build on the foundation that already exists to strengthen their presence)

No comments:

Post a Comment